Business Description

Berthoud wedding plannebjhjhr A little bird told me you'd like some help planning your event.....

.

.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Unicorn with a Mustache Party

{Real Parties}

My middle child, Holden is a horse (or a unicorn,) of a different color.  He is fun, kooky, quick-witted, silly and humorous.  For his 9th birthday he dared me to base his small party at home on the following theme:
a unicorn with a mustache that poops rainbows.
Okay.........take a look at what I came up with and let me know if you think I hit the mark!

As soon as the theme was announced, I received this drawing from a talented cousin who quickly created this using his cell phone!  This is the image that I used for the invitations and various other parts of the party.


As guests arrived, they were asked to look the part by donning a unicorn horn and a mustache. (I threw some pink ones in as well as a special request from my dear daughter.)


When I searched Etsy for unicorn with a mustache there were few results, with the exception of this adorable, handmade stuffed animal.  Even cooler, the Etsy shop is owned by a 12 year old girl that makes these cuties!  Great job Maya from Twelve Stitches



I hung our new little mustached friend above the food/treat table along with some sky themed tissue pom poms.  I also used some rainbow tissue pom poms in the other room.


I figured it would be easy to just go with a rainbow theme and was lucky to find supplies such as napkins, plates and mini rainbow cocktail forks at my local Target store.  I stamped wooden dessert spoons with little mustaches and ordered some rainbow polka dot candy/nut cups to serve the rainbow sherbert in.


We set out individual bottles of colorful sodas like Jones and Izze donned with mustache drink markers so that the kids would know whose drink was whose.


We served rainbow colored food including fruit loops and goldfish crackers.  I made rainbow colored kettle corn and served it in the old fashioned looking popcorn machine that it was popped in.  I had read about someone else using Bugles as "unicorn horns" but I couldn't find them in the store so I substituted with these rolled up Dorritos.


For dessert we made Unicorn Poop Cookies.  You can find the recipe online but basically it is your basic sugar cookie dough divided into as many bowls as you have colors of food coloring.  Mix with the coloring. Take a pinch of one color dough at a time and roll between your hands (like when you were a kid and made playdough worms or snakes.) Do this with each color and then stack one on top of the other. Twist the colors together and continue to roll out into a "big snake."  Then coil the snake up in a clump of "poop."  Bake at 375 for about 12 minutes.  When the cookies come out of the oven, top with decorator gel and sprinkles.

Unicorn Poop Cookies
Instead of a traditional cake, I wanted to finally try out my Push Up Pops recipe book that I bought from Courtney Dial Whitmore.  So we made Rainbow Push Up Pops with bubble gum and cotton candy frosting.


Doesn't this picture of him just make you feel like you have to smile when you look at it? 

For activities I didn't want to do a ton of pre-planned things since in the words of my son, he just wanted to "hang out." But at the request of my party planning daughter, we did have "stick the mustache on the unicorn" using mustache magnets.


As additional time fillers, my eldest son helped me put together a playlist of their favorite you tube viral videos including "Charlie the Unicorn," "Nyan Cat," "Tobuscus," and "Llamas with hats to play in various rooms.  My kids are also obsessed with looking at memes, so we ran a slideshow of memes such as "Grumpy Cat," "Philosoraptor," "Baby Godfather," "LOL Cats" and "The Walking Dead."


My birthday boy is quite the ham/performer so I thought it would be fun to collect photos to remember him and his guests by by making a makeshift photo booth area. I hung crepe paper streamers to the wall and put out props like boas, big glasses, mustaches, hats and masks with a sign saying "I mustache you to pick some props and strike a pose."


These photos will be my favorite keepsakes from the party and I hope that Holden will look back at them someday and it will make him smile.


I think that my husband and I had some fun with the props too!


Yes that is me.  No those are not my real eyebrows.


Guests hit the candy and treats table before their departure.  (Don't mind my messy office as the backdrop.) They filled their candy bags with skittles, unicorn lollipops, was mustaches, rainbow gumball tubes, colored licorice, sour gummy worms, unicorn stickers, mustache buttons, whoopie cusions and rainbow tears (a little capsule of rainbow glitter.) Whew!


Each guest also got a unicorn beanie baby, complete with a mustache of course!


Go ahead, thrown your crazy party theme request at me and see what happens!

6 comments:

  1. Kyle BurnettApril 23, 2013

    Looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, love this crazy idea! I may have to incorporate this for my 33rd birthday! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Wouldn't that be fabulous? I'd love to see your (professional) photos from your party! ;)

      Delete
  3. hello, im planning a rainbow art party for a 5 year old birthday and those napkins would go perfect! could you tell me where you ordered them from so i can purchase some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that they were from Target. Good luck!

      Delete